[Haskell-cafe] Sparse documentation

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 3 16:54:55 EDT 2007

Tim Newsham wrote:
>> Is there a particular module you're having trouble with?  Or just
>> griping in
>> general? =)
>
> How about STM?  It would be nice if I didn't have to scan the paper
> each time I do something with STM.  Isn't that the point of having an
> API reference?

Similar remarks hold for Parsec. The online manual is very well done,
and I learned the thing easily and painlessly. But the online
documentation is one 1,000 mile long HTML page. On the other hand, the
nicely browsable API docs contain virtually nothing except the type
signatures...

On the one hand, in Haskell (unlike any other language I've ever seen)
you can often *almost* tell what something does just form the type.
(Pretty amazing, really.) OTOH, sometimes you can't...