[Haskell-cafe] Re: proposal: HaBench, a Haskell Benchmark Suite

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Jan 30 19:51:27 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 01:56:32AM +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> Friday, January 26, 2007, 6:23:26 PM, you wrote:
>
> >> performance was not very good (the OCaml version I based it on was at
> >> least 10x faster).
>
> > I would think that what we'd want to benchmark would be clean, optimized
> > actually-used code.  I.e. things like Data.Bytestring, so that we could see
>
> so you propose to benchmark only low-level imperative code? :)
>
> (correct me if i'm wrong, but everything fast i've seen, including FPS,
> is just imperative code)

I guess it depends what you mean by imperative, and I'll admit I haven't
looked at Data.Bytestring's internals recently, but most of the code in
FastPackedString (its predecessor) is just using a ForeignPtr as an array,
which isn't imperative at all.  Certainly it (almost?) never uses a mutable
variable.  So what do you mean by "imperative"?

In any case, I meant code that *uses* Data.Bytestring, which is certainly
purely functional.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics