[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: binary: high performance, pure binary serialisation

Arie Peterson ariep at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 26 10:16:15 EST 2007

Joel Reymont wrote:

> May I ask why TH is easier to maintain than DrIFT?
>
> I'm not familiar with DrIFT.

The reason is personal, and very silly. I only use ghc, so TH is available
automatically.

Like you, I have never used DrIFT, so I would have to get to know it, and
install it everywhere I want to compile my program. From a very quick look
at the DrIFT homepage, installation might be nontrivial on a windows
machine without some cygwin-like environment. At any rate, *for me* it's
more work than using TH, because I'm familiar with the latter and already
depend on its presence.

> Why would I prefer one over the other?

I wouldn't know. Please do not let my prejudice influence your preference
:-).

Greetings,

Arie