[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANNOUNCE: binary: high performance, pure binary serialisation

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 10:12:29 EST 2007

Quoth Arie Peterson, nevermore,
> I also fear that the existing script does not handle types with more than
> 256 constructors correctly. While uncommon, those are not unrealistic.

"256 constructors ought to be enough for anybody"? ;-)

Seriously though, the thought of a type definition that heavyweight
quite terrifies me. I would be interested to see if such a thing could
be warranted and not more sensibly broken down into smaller (sets of)
units.

I like to think of types as being a bit like functions; and there is no
way I would ever think about a function with 256+ parameters. For a
start, my screen isn't wide enough for that kind of thing...

But, well done to the people responsible for the binary stuff. It looks
fab.

D.
--
Dougal Stanton <ithika at gmail.com>