[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] [Fwd: Re: Computer Language Shootout]

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 13:36:38 EST 2007

Hi

> Sorry for being unclear. I agree with your comments on GHC, and one
> thing I was suggesting was that somebody should think about profiling
> tools for improving our understanding of how those transformations
> interact with each other, not just profiling tools for understanding
> the end result.

That would be very neat. Another neat trick would be generalising
optimisations so that there are fewer and more independant passes,
this would make it easier to understand (and is what I was working on
for Yhc).

> I agree that there should be more diversity in compilers, but I think
> even sticking to GHC, there's a lot that could be done when it comes
> to improving understanding of just what the optimizer is doing.
> Anything better than staring at intermediate code would be an
> improvement, since time spent staring at intermediate code usually is
> time spent narrowing down the 2 lines out of 1000 that are relevant.

Yhc has intermediate code that is substantially more Haskell like, and
with the command:

loadCore "file.ycr" >>= writeFile "file.html" . coreHtml

You can generate an active Html document that lets you explore the
Core in a more interactive way - including hyperlinks for function
names, syntax hilighting etc.

i.e: http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/yhc/Roman.html

All of these things make playing with Yhc Core much more fun than
playing with GHC Core. There is absolutely no reason you couldn't add
all these things to GHC Core, then perhaps you'd save some time when
it does come to the "examine core" level.

Thanks

Neil