[Haskell-cafe] Redefining superclass default methods in a subclass

Meng Wang Meng.Wang at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 14 17:48:04 EST 2007

Hi Brian,

Thank you for starting the thread. We (Martin Sulzmann and me) proposed a
type class extension which allows modular extension of superclasses (a
complement of subclass extension). The idea has been shown to be
particularly useful in (but not limited to) encodings of generic
programming with type classes. A brief introduction of the proposal is
documented in our wiki:
http://taichi.ddns.comp.nus.edu.sg/taichiwiki/GPHomePage. I will try to
add it as a link in yours soon.

A more detailed and formal description of the proposal can be found in our
Workshop on Generic Programming 06 paper which is available at
http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~sulzmann
http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/work/meng.wang/

Regards,
Meng