[Haskell-cafe] Re: Resending: MissingH: profiler support?

Lemmih lemmih at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 11:17:14 EST 2007

On 1/12/07, Gregory Wright <gwright at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On Jan 11, 2007, at 8:06 PM, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > On 2007-01-11, Chris Eidhof <chris at eidhof.nl> wrote:
> >> Hey,
> >>
> >> does anyone know about this? Resending as I got no replies (yet) ;)
> >
> > Just for the record, I have no idea; I've never really used profiling
> > and couldn't figure out how to make it work in general (at least
> > not in
> > a short amount of time).
> >
> > Are you sure your problem is restricted to MissingH?  I can't think of
> > anything special about it that would throw off profiling.
> >
> > -- John
>
> Does MissingH's cabal file have a line
>
>         Ghc-Prof-Options:       -prof -auto-all
>
> ?
>
> The rhs of the option is added to compiler command line when the
> --enable-library-profiling option is included to configure.  Without
> this,
> the --enable-library-profiling switch doesn't do anything.  (Arguably a
> bug that cabal silently does nothing instead of reporting an error.)

Cabal will build a profiling version of the library whether or not you
have ghc-prof-options. Using '-auto-all' only adds more cost centres
which you most likely don't want (unless you're working on the library
itself).
One might argue, however, that the convenience of having
--enable-library-profiling on by default is worth the doubled build
time.

  Lemmih