[Haskell-cafe] HaskellForge?

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Thu Jan 11 09:02:02 EST 2007

tphyahoo wrote:
> I think people want something like CPAN. This implies a centralized
> "official" repository

I agree.

I think we also need a notion of a canonical
standard package for each popular category.

True, it is sometimes nice to have a lot of alternatives to choose
from. And to be able to specify the resulting package dependencies.

But other times that is not good. If you need to include a certain
functionality in your program, sometimes the most important
factors are that it is least likely to cause package conflicts for the
widest possible audience, or that the widest possible audience will
easily understand how it works, or that it will integrate well
with a wide variety of other services.

In a CPAN-like world that can be very difficult.

-Yitz