[Haskell-cafe] readFile problem

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 05:09:18 EST 2007

On 1/8/07, Stefan Aeschbacher <haskell at aeschbacher.ch> wrote:
> There are many things i do not understand. Why the different behaviour
> on Linux and Windows? Shouldn't an exception be thrown on Linux
> instead of a core dump? I don't use any unsafePerformIO or foreign
> calls. Why the changed path? I never change working directory in my
> code. Why is a function (-> reading the config file) re-evaluated at a
> later point in time?
>
> How can I debug such a problem?
>
> My environement is ghc 6.6 on Ubuntu or Windows XP.

It may be difficult to say without seeing your code. Is it possible
for you to post it, or at least a minimal test case that would
illustrate the different errors on the different OSes? What Unix
toolkit are you using when running ghc on Windows, if any (cygwin,
mingw, both, neither?)

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"What is research but a blind date with knowledge?" -- Will Henry