[Haskell-cafe] trouble installing ghc 6.6: xargs: /usr/bin/ar: terminated by signal 11

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Sat Jan 6 19:33:22 EST 2007

At Sat, 6 Jan 2007 15:41:37 -0800,
Stefan O'Rear wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 03:30:56PM -0800, tphyahoo wrote:
> >
> > I'm having trouble installing ghc 6.6. On ubuntu, virtual server (user mode
> > linux).

> Is it repeatable?  i.e. If you run 'make' again, do you get the same error at
> the same place?  If you answer 'no', swap out all your RAM and try again.
> Unexplained sig11's are the classic first symptom of failing memory, soon followed
> by filesystem corruption and data loss.  I wish I'd paid attention when I had my
> first weird crash. :(

In my experience bad memory causing signal 11 can even be very repeatable.

If you haven't tried a memory test yet, memtest86 and its derivatives
are a good place to start. memtest86, memtest86+, and a bunch of other
hardware diagnostics can be found on this (free as in beer) cd:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

j.