[Haskell-cafe] trouble installing ghc 6.6: xargs: /usr/bin/ar: terminated by signal 11

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Sat Jan 6 18:41:37 EST 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 03:30:56PM -0800, tphyahoo wrote:

> I'm having trouble installing ghc 6.6. On ubuntu, virtual server (user mode
> linux).
>
> Something seems to be killing the process, no idea why.
>
> Anyone seen this?
>
> xargs: /usr/bin/ar: terminated by signal 11
> make[2]: *** [libHSbase.a] Error 125
> make[2]: *** Deleting file `libHSbase.a'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/thartman/ghc-6.6/libraries'
> make: *** [stage1] Error 2
> ~/ghc-6.6$

Is it repeatable?  i.e. If you run 'make' again, do you get the same error at
the same place?  If you answer 'no', swap out all your RAM and try again.
Unexplained sig11's are the classic first symptom of failing memory, soon followed
by filesystem corruption and data loss.  I wish I'd paid attention when I had my
first weird crash. :(

(there are other possibilities, but they usually won't be fixed by replacing the
memory and usually will be repeatable.)