[Haskell-cafe] trouble installing greencard -- -fno-prune-tydecls flag ( was Re: trivial function application question )

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Sat Jan 6 06:44:34 EST 2007

tphyahoo wrote:
> Very, very helpful Chris; thanks; and thanks also to the many other helpful
> haskellers.
>
>> They have (hopefully working) cabal files to make compiling and installing
>> ea\
> sy.
>
> Unfortunately, not so easy, for PCRE.regex. But hopefully this is just due
> to my ignorance and there's a simple workaround.

I think that it is simpler than you think.  Cabal is confusing you.

> At any rate, after darcs --getting as you suggested, I ran make, and got
> various complaints. I installed haddock, happy, alex, hat, c2hs, and cpphs
> with apt-get.

Well, the Makefile is just sugar for the Cabal Setup.hs file.

Running --configure notices that many things are not installed, but this is just
noise from Cabal.

With my development directory I get this output from "./setup --configure":

> Configuring regex-pcre-0.80...
> configure: /usr/local/bin/ghc-pkg
> configure: Dependency base>=2.0: using base-2.0
> configure: Dependency regex-base-any: using regex-base-0.71
> configure: Using install prefix: /usr/local
> configure: Binaries installed in: /usr/local/bin
> configure: Libraries installed in: /usr/local/lib/regex-pcre-0.80/ghc-6.6
> configure: Private binaries installed in: /usr/local/libexec
> configure: Data files installed in: /usr/local/share/regex-pcre-0.80
> configure: Using compiler: /usr/local/bin/ghc
> configure: Compiler flavor: GHC
> configure: Compiler version: 6.6
> configure: Using package tool: /usr/local/bin/ghc-pkg
> configure: Using ar found on system at: /usr/bin/ar
> configure: Using haddock found on system at: /usr/local/bin/haddock
> configure: No pfesetup found
> configure: Using ranlib found on system at: /usr/bin/ranlib
> configure: Using runghc found on system at: /usr/local/bin/runghc
> configure: No runhugs found
> configure: No happy found
> configure: No alex found
> configure: Using hsc2hs: /usr/local/bin/hsc2hs
> configure: No c2hs found
> configure: No cpphs found
> configure: No greencard found

This is sufficient to compile regex-pcre so long as you also have libpcre where
ghc will find it.  The main this is that it found ghc-6.6 and the hsc2hs and
ghc-pkg that came with ghc.

Specifically commands to run:

make setup  # this means Setup.hs is compiled once into "setup" for speed
./setup --configure -p --user --prefix=/where/you/want/it
./setup build
./setup install --user
./setup clean

If you really want it to be global, then remove the --user and --prefix and
install with sudo.

Also, "./setup --help" is useful.