[Haskell-cafe] Re: Web server continued

Joost Behrends webmaster at h-labahn.de
Mon Dec 31 07:36:02 EST 2007

I forgot 2 things:

> The distinction between '=' and '==' is much like in C, although mixing
> them up is not so dangerous like in C. ':=' and '=' like in Wirth
> languages would be nicer.

Strangely nobody reacted on this. That a=a+1 is an infinite recursion here
(but _|_ obviously not completely "out of scope") makes "=" totally different
in my eyes. And that outside monads variables normally have just one line,
where they are on the left side, makes another huge difference in the structure
of your code.

Then - more on wrapper libraries for SQL or HTML.

I consider "interpolation" useful with HTML, that is kind of other way around
than WASH. You write a page and embed your high-level in it. Not HTML should
bended to your high-level language. The so much mightier language should do the
service here. Then sides can possibly be upgraded by extern web designers.

With Python i realized an own way of embedding a (greatly reduced) subset of the
language into HTML - the project at sourceforge.net is named "thrases".

And concerning SQL: I like the parts of the language - all capitalized - as
landmarks in my code, even in modified forms like:

 "SELECT number, customer FROM " ++ currcols ++ ....

Here i see from afar, what the code around this line does.

Happy New Year, Joost