[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wikipedia on first-class object

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 14:07:15 EST 2007

On 12/29/07, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Tim,
>
> Saturday, December 29, 2007, 9:42:48 PM, you wrote:
>
> > The only thing that computers can do that humans can't is to work
> > without getting bored.
>
> ok, please compute 2^2^30 before continuing discussion. it seems that
> you just use "i'm too bored" and "i can't" as synonyms. if computer
> will answer "i'm too bored" to any question he can't answer - will it
> be enough to give him human rights?

Well, that's why I recommended the Dennett essay. The difference
between "I'm too bored" and "I can't" is actually an interesting
philosophical question, and people have written about it in detail
before.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"Instant gratification takes too long."--Carrie Fisher