[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wikipedia on first-class object

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 07:30:55 EST 2007

On 28/12/2007, at 7:19 PM, Miguel Mitrofanov wrote:

>> So what do you expect:
>
>> take 5 [1,2,3,4,5,undefined]
>
>> to do?
>
> Nothing! It's a value, not an instruction!

Dang, I knew I'd choose at least one wrong word in all of that. :-P

What is it's value, then? ... and what is the value of the other
example I gave?

(What would GHCi print? What is another, perhaps even simpler,
expression it is equal to? ... a substantive answer please! Then
please square that with your comment that we don't care how much of
the list gets evaluated.)

(Jules, thanks for your response. My questions are Socratic, not
rhetorical. I'm benefiting by having to choose my words very, very
carefully. :-)

cheers
peter