[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wikipedia on first-class object

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Fri Dec 28 07:19:58 EST 2007

> I'll bite.

Please, don't.

> So what do you expect:
> take 5 [1,2,3,4,5,undefined]
> to do?

Nothing! It's a value, not an instruction!

> So it does seem to matter how much of the list it evaluates...

No, it's implementation details. I'm reasoning about values, not computations, and I use complete orders for reasoning. What really matters is that implementation gives me results that agree with this reasoning - until we consider performance issues.

> > Well, that depends of your notion of interesting.
> I defined it - I'm interested in things that are observationally
> equivalent.

That's your choice, and I certainly can't argue, but I can't help mentioning that this is a bit weird.