[Haskell-cafe] Haskell purity and printing

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:16:34 EST 2007

Extensionality says that the only observable properties of functions
are the outputs they give for particular inputs. Accepting
extensionality as a Good Thing implies that enabling the user to
define a function that can differentiate between f x = x + x and g x =
2 * x is a Bad Thing.

Note that your h does not differentiate between f and g (in fact, it
does not investigate them at all), the only thing you can do with f,
g, (h f), and (g f) is apply them. Accordingly, it's a fine Haskell
definition.

"Why is extensionality a good thing?" might be a more enlightening
question. My answer would quickly be outshone by others', so I'll stop
here.