[Haskell-cafe] Is StateT what I need?

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 18:56:56 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 21:22 -0200, Andre Nathan wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 17:33 -0200, Andre Nathan wrote:
> > Hello (Newbie question ahead :)
>
> Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. The code is much cleaner now
> (not to mention it works :)
>
> This is the first non-tutorial program I'm writing and all this monad
> stuff is easier than I thought it would be. I think newbies like me tend
> to get scared after reading all those monad tutorials and maybe give up
> before actually trying to use them, and don't realize they're more
> like... I don't know... warm fuzzy things? ;)
>
> [I'm talking about my own experience here... I've given up many times
> while trying to learn all this, but at least this time it seems to be
> working better.]

Have you read Wadler's papers?

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/topics/monads.html

In particular one of "The essence of functional programming" or "Monads
for Functional Programming"?  If not, I think you'll find them better in
every way* than any "tutorial" despite being written 15 years ago.

* And I do mean -every- way; they are also more entertaining and easier
to read.