[Haskell-cafe] New slogan for haskell.org

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 23:36:55 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 23:06 -0500, gwern0 at gmail.com wrote:
> On 2007.12.12 03:29:13 +0100, Wolfgang Jeltsch <g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org> scribbled 1.6K characters:
> > Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007 03:12 schrieb gwern0 at gmail.com:
> > > FWIW to the discussion about changing the main page, I was reading the CUFP
> > > paper and I saw some germane comments (and the writer is apparently one
> > > Noel Welsh, whose name I don't see in the thread); the context is a
> > > discussion (pg 17) of various members or potential members of the Haskell
> > > community and how supported they are:
> > >
> > >  "What are the needs of the potential programmer? People program to solve
> > > prob- lems; so there had better be a clear statement of what kinds of
> > > problem the language is good for. The Python community does a good job of
> > > this on python.org: "Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming
> > > language that can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers
> > > strong support for integration with other languages and tools, comes with
> > > extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days."
> > >
> > >  Compare this with the equivalent from haskell.org: "Haskell is a
> > >  general purpose, purely functional programming language featuring static
> > >  typing, higher-order functions, polymorphism, type classes, and monadic
> > >  effects. Haskell compilers are freely available for almost any computer."
> > > If you understand all that, you don't need to be here: you're already a
> > > Haskell programmer."
> >
> > Note however that also the Python slogan isn’t so much about solving problems.
> > And it also contains technical terms: “dynamic object-oriented programming
> > language” instead of “static typing, higher-order functions, polymorphism,
> > type classes, and monadic effects”.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Wolfgang
>
> The Haskell one is dominated by the technical terms, while the Python one is by more generic features. Let's break them down:
>
> > Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language
> > It can be used for many kinds of software development.
> > It offers:
> > > strong support for integration with other languages and tools,
> > > comes with extensive standard libraries
> > > and can be learned in a few days."
>
> It uses two technical terms, one of which is extremely common and understood (or at least, they think they understand it) by the vast majority of programmers, and another which even if you don't know anything about static/dynamic, still sounds neat. Dynamic! Neato! *power* *bop* Leaping librarians Batman!
>
> Of the rest of the description, it is all touchy-feely: it reassures you that it'll be able to do what you ask it to do; it'll play nice with your stuff; it's quick and easy to learn; and you won't have to mess around with installing stuff, it's brain-dead simple and 'all there'.
>
> Now let's look at the Haskell one.
>
> > "Haskell is a general purpose,

> [...]

(Not directed at gwern in particular)

I have a better idea.  Let's decide to do nothing.  The benefits of this
approach are: 1) it takes zero effort to implement, 2) the number of
people who immediately give up on Haskell from reading that is, I
suspect, neglible (actually I suspect it is zero; I think the number of
people who actually read that at all is probably negligible), and 3) it
accomplishes the same end as debating endlessly while creating much less
list traffic.