[Haskell-cafe] Point and link

Denis Bueno dbueno at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 14:34:05 EST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 1:50 PM, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> Here's a fairly basic question. I have several ideas for programs that
> I'd like to write. They all involve placing "units" of some kind, and
> then drawing "connections" between those units. How feasible is it to
> program such a thing in Haskell? Where would you start? (Gtk2hs is the
> only graphics API I'm familiar with using at present.)

Do you need to update positions of the units in real time?  Do they
even evolve over time, or are you just trying to visualise?

If it's the latter, you might just take a collection of units and
connections between them, output them in the graphviz [0] format, and
see the resulting drawing.  Graphviz is for visualising arbitrary
graphs, and it's quite good at it.

If you're thinking of writing games, then this suggestion likely won't
help; but you didn't specify anything about real-time update, so I
thought I'd mention it.

--
                              Denis

[0] http://www.graphviz.org/