[Haskell-cafe] Ideas

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Aug 26 08:05:38 EDT 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Evan Laforge wrote:

>> Reaktor has a few limitations though.
>>
>> 1. It's virtually impossible to debug the thing! (I.e., if your synth
>> doesn't work... good luck working out why.)
>>
>> 2. It lacks looping capabilities. For example, you cannot build a
>> variable-size convolution block - only a fixed-size one. (If you want to
>> draw *a lot* of wires!) If you look through the standard library, you'll
>> find no end of instruments that use a "hack" of using voice polyphony to
>> crudely simulate looping... but it's not too hot.
>>
>> Would be nice if I could build something in Haskell that overcomes
>> these. OTOH, does Haskell have any way to talk to the audio hardware?

> To get this back to haskell, at the time I wondered if a more natural
> implementation might be possible in haskell, seeing as it was more
> naturally lazy.  Not sure how to implement the behaviours though
> (which were simply macros around a let of *dynamic-something*).  I'm
> sure people have done plenty of signal processing, and there's always
> haskore... but what about a sound generation language like csound or
> clm or nyquist?  It could fit in nicely below haskore.

I'm playing around with Haskore controlling signal synthesis
implemented in pure Haskell for some time now:
  http://darcs.haskell.org/synthesizer/src/Haskore/Interface/Signal/
   It works, but it's still slow and hard to install.

This discussion is certainly also of interest for the haskell-art mailing
list.