[Haskell-cafe] newbie - how to call a Haskell interpreter from C

Brock Peabody brock.peabody at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 12:34:45 EDT 2007

On 8/25/07, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <hjgtuyl at chello.nl> wrote:

> The easiest way to run Haskell software from a C program is to give the
> shell command:
>    runhaskell Foo.hs

I'm a newbie but not that new :) I really have to be able to interpret the
Haskell from within the same process.

A more advanced way is, to link Haskell libraries by means of the foreign
> function interface (FFI) [1].
> There are several tools to support FFI development [2]. I am sure my list
> of URL's is not complete.
>
> [1] http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ffi/
> <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/%7Echak/haskell/ffi/>
>      http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/FFI_Introduction
>      http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/FFI_cook_book
>
> [2] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/FFI_imports_packaging_utility
>      http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/HSFFIG

My understanding is that FFI helps you to call into other languages from
Haskell and vice-versa. I will definitely need this, but what I can't figure
out how to do is to invoke the ghci or hugs interpreter programmatically,
in-process. I didn't see a way to do that in the links you listed, am I
missing something?

Much thanks,
Brock Peabody