[Haskell-cafe] Erlang VM in Haskell

Neil Bartlett njbartlett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 08:36:39 EDT 2007

Joel,

This sounds like an extremely interesting (but very ambitious!)
project, which I would like to get involved with if I have the time.

However, wouldn't it be rather difficult, given that there doesn't
seem to be a publicly available specification for the Erlang VM or the
BEAM file format -- according to this email thread on the
erlang-questions list:

http://www.nabble.com/VM---BEAM-Specs-t4215515.html

Perhaps it would be interesting to look at a slightly more constrained
problem: can Erlang's message passing model (including distributed
messaging across a network) and process monitoring facilities be
replicated in Haskell? In other words, can we build OTP in Haskell?

Regards,
Neil