[Haskell-cafe] Erlang VM in Haskell

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 20:22:11 EDT 2007

Folks,

I would like to write an Erlang VM in Haskell. I first thought of
OCaml but Haskell has SMP and lazy evaluation may come in handy.
Plus, I'll need help in this project like in no other and support
from the Haskell community has always been outstanding.

I'm doing this to learn more about the Erlang internals and to
acquire some skills in the process. I'm also hoping to be at least as
fast as the existing Erlang VM (written in C) and to be able to
extend the VM in a functional language.

With C you can implement a threaded VM using GCC labels or switch-
style [1]. What is the most efficient approach in Haskell?

I'm thinking using CPS and building up a chain of closures. Would
this work well? Any other suggestions?

The Haskell repo for the initial HEM (Haskell Erlang Machine) is at
http://darcs.haskell.org/hem. A much improved HAW implementation will
follow in the not so near future.

	Thanks, Joel

[1] http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/threaded-code.html