[Haskell-cafe] Explaining monads

Gregory Propf gregorypropf at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 20:16:36 EDT 2007

I made this mistake myself at first too.  It seems that the Monad = "side effect machine" error is common to Haskell newbies.  Probably to do with the fact that the first thing every programmer wants to do is write a hello world program and for that you need the IO Monad which requires some explanation of how a Monad can allow for side effects (at least the IO Monad). - Greg