[Haskell-cafe] out of core computing in haskell

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Aug 13 17:48:10 EDT 2007

In the second case, if your numerical data is just a big array, why not
just mmap it? Unless you're running on a 32 bit machine, or have a
*seriously* large amount of data, that seems like the easiest option.
Although if you're talking about mutable data, that's a whole 'nother can
of worms... but that's true even if your data fits into memory.

You could look at Data.ByteString to get some idea as to how to wrap a pure
interface around a disk-backed chunk of read-only memory.  Or just read
about the ffi, it's not too hard to figure out.

David