[Haskell-cafe] out of core computing in haskell

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 13 15:55:57 EDT 2007

Carter T Schonwald wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> I'm not quite sure if I'm posing this question correctly, but what
> facilities currently exist in haskell to nicely deal with
> datastructures that won't fit within a given machine's ram?
> And if there are no such facilities, what would it take to fix that?

If you just want to process a big chunk of data from one end to the
other without loading it all into RAM at once... that's fairly easy.
Haskell is a lazy language. By playing with functions such as
getContents, you can automatically load the data as you access it. No
tricky programming required.

If you're asking for something more specific -- e.g., "how do I talk to
a standard database like Oracle / MySql / et al.", there are a couple of
libraries for that. (Unfortunately, no one standard one.) See Stefan's

I'd you'd like to be more specific about what you'd like to do...