[Haskell-cafe] out of core computing in haskell

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Mon Aug 13 15:44:42 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 12:29:25PM -0700, Carter T Schonwald wrote:
> Hello Everyone,

> I'm not quite sure if I'm posing this question correctly, but what
> facilities currently exist in haskell to nicely deal with
> datastructures that won't fit within a given machine's ram?  And if
> there are no such facilities, what would it take to fix that?

You're asking correctly, and according to the Hackage list:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/pkg-list.html

we have:

     * anydbm library and program: Interface for DBM-like database systems
     * BerkeleyDB library: Bindings for Berkeley DB v1.x
     * haskelldb library: SQL unwrapper for Haskell.
     * HDBC library
     * hsql library
     * PostgreSQL library: Thin wrapper over the C postgresql library

We also have Data.Binary and Data.ByteString, but those are more useful
for building data stores, than as data stores themselves.

Stefan