[Haskell-cafe] Re: monads and groups -- instead of loops

Greg Meredith lgreg.meredith at biosimilarity.com
Wed Aug 1 15:23:26 EDT 2007

Haskellians,

But, along these lines i have been wondering for a while... the monad laws
present an alternative categorification of monoid. At least it's alternative
to monoidoid. In the spirit of this thought, does anyone know of an
expansion of the monad axioms to include an inverse action? Here, i am
following an analogy

monoidoid : monad :: groupoid : ???

i did a search of the literature, but was probably using the wrong
terminology to try to find references. i would be very grateful for anyone
who might point me in the right direction.

My intuition tells me this could be quite generally useful to computing in
situation where boxing and updating have natural (or yet to be discovered)
candidates for undo operations. i'm given to understand reversible computing
might be a good thing to be thinking about if QC ever gets real... ;-)

Best wishes,

--greg