[Haskell-cafe] Re: Compilling GHC on Vista

Monique Monteiro monique.louise at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 08:14:27 EDT 2007

At Cygin command shell, ld --version gives the following output:

GNU ld version 2.17.50 20060817
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.

In fact, this is the version of Cygwin ld.  The version for MingW is different.

On 4/26/07, Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Claus Reinke wrote:
> >> gcc version 3.4.2 (mingw-special)
> >> configure:3288: $? = 0
> >> configure:3295: c:/MinGW/bin/gcc -V >&5
> >> gcc.exe: `-V' option must have argument
> >> configure:3298: $? = 1
> >> configure:3321: checking for C compiler default output file name
> >> configure:3348: c:/MinGW/bin/gcc    conftest.c  >&5
> >> ld: /mingw/lib/crt2.o: No such file: No such file or directory
> >
> > not sure whether this is relevant, but there is no drive letter in that
> > library path.
> >
> > cygwin doesn't know about /mingw anyway, but if i am in a cmd shell,
> > it does matter what drive i'm on, as absolute paths without drive letter
> > will default to the root of that drive:
> >
> >    D:\>c:\mingw\bin\ld \mingw\lib\crt2.o -M | find "OUTPUT"
> >    c:\mingw\bin\ld: \mingw\lib\crt2.o: No such file: No such file or
> > directory
> >
> >    C:\>c:\mingw\bin\ld \mingw\lib\crt2.o -M | find "OUTPUT"
> >    ..
> >    OUTPUT(a.exe pei-i386)
>
> I suspect this may be because gcc has managed to pick up the Cygwin ld instead
> of the mingw one.  Monique - what exactly is your PATH?  What happens when you
> say 'ld --version'?
>
> Cheers,
>        Simon

Monique Monteiro, MSc
MCP .NET Framework 2.0 / SCJP / IBM OOAD
Project Manager
Recife Microsoft Innovation Center
+55 81 34198137
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~mlbm