[Haskell-cafe] Is Excel a FP language?

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Wed Apr 25 19:30:29 EDT 2007

Albert Y. C. Lai wrote:
> I say Excel is a functional language. If there needs to be the quoted
> distinction, fine: Excel the language is a functional language, and
> Excel the application is an interpreter of said language.

Excel has functions, but does it treat functions as it treats other
data?  I don't think so, and that makes it non-functional
(dys-functional?).  As for VB... that may be functional, in the same
sense as XSLT is: if you step back and squint, it almost looks vaguely
like a functional language.

> (Does the opposition self-consistently distinguish Perl the language
> from perl.exe the interpreter?)

"Only perl can parse Perl."  (Yes, they do.)

-Udo
--
"Science is like sex - sometimes something useful comes out of it, but
that's not what we are doing it for." -- Richard Feynman