[Haskell-cafe] Is Excel a FP language?

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 04:03:36 EDT 2007

On 25/04/07, Tony Morris <tmorris at tmorris.net> wrote:
> In a debate I proposed "Excel is a functional language". It was refuted
> and I'd like to know what some of you clever Haskellers might think :)

By coincidence I wrote about Excel (and related spreadsheets) as
functional languages just recently [1]. It was prompted by an article
in the BMJ where a spreadsheet cell was accidentally overwritten by
patient data, meaning a small child was given their weight as a drug
quantity, rather than the quantity being calculated from their weight.

[1]: <http://brokenhut.livejournal.com/233310.html>

Cheers,

D.