[Haskell-cafe] How Albus Dumbledore would sell Haskell

Justin Bailey jgbailey at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:16:42 EDT 2007

On 4/19/07, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have lots of *general* ideas.  What I'm hoping is that I can steal
> working code for one or two compelling examples, so that I can spend my time
> thinking about how to present it, rather than on dreaming up the example and
> writing the code.

Last night I thought writing a simple arithmetic calculator in Haskell would
be pretty cool. Parsec makes it so easy to parse simple arithmetic
expressions. Coming from a Ruby/C# background, that would really impress me
- that kind of parsing isn't easy!

Not sure how hard it would be - but extending the calculator to different
units or to symbolic expressions (i.e. simple variable assignments) would be
impressive.

Sorry I don't have any code to provide :)

Justin