[Haskell-cafe] ANN: XMPP 0.0.1

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Sat Apr 7 21:34:21 EDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 02:03:03AM +0200, Magnus Henoch wrote:
> I'm hacking a library for writing XMPP clients, and just decided that
> my work is good enough to call it version 0.0.1.  Find source and
> documentation here:

Congrats, you are (at least) the third person to do this.

Jeremy Shaw (stepcut):
  http://www.n-heptane.com/nhlab/repos/haskell-xmpp/

Dimitry Astopov (ADEpt):
  http://adept.linux.kiev.ua:1080/repos/xmpp

> http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~henoch/text/hsxmpp.html
>
> It contains a werewolf bot as an example.  I wanted the bot to speak
> several languages, but I couldn't find any library that would make
> that easier, so I wrote one myself, in Translate.hs.  Is there any
> other way to do that?  What do other projects use?

I don't know what werewolf is, but maybe you were looking for
something like this:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/lambdabot/Plugin/Babel.hs

> The library contains an event loop: it waits for data from the
> network, treats it as events and handles them.  (the loop is in
> runXMPP in XMPPMonad.hs, and the actual waiting is in getString in
> TCPConnection.hs) I can imagine that it might be useful to integrate
> this in another event loop, e.g. to create a chat client with a GUI.
> Do you have any thoughts on whether and how to do that?

The best way to do that is with select(2), known in Haskell as forkIO.

Stefan