[Haskell-cafe] what GUI library should i select?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 13 14:03:23 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 18:00 +0000, Tim Docker wrote:
> > afaik, there are just two good enough libs - wxHaskell and GtkHs. can
> > anyone point (or write) detailed comparison of their features?
>
> One point in wxHaskell's favour is that it supports Mac OS X directly. At
> present, to the best of my knowledge, you can only run GtkHs applications
> on OS X using the X Windows server. Whilst this works, it's a _long_ way
> from native look and feel.

This is quite true. Fortunately the Gtk+ folk are well underway with a
project to make it all more native looking. The latest released version
of Gtk+ 2.10.x has 'experimental' support for running on OSX without
using X11. The next step (apart from general bug fixing) is to use the
right native theme.

So yes, at the moment it doesn't look native on OSX but hopefully in the
future it will. You can read more about that here:

http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gtk-macosx

Duncan