[Haskell-cafe] best Linux for GHC?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Nov 13 08:38:27 EST 2006

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 13:36:13 +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

>> CentOS, perhaps?  It is usually good advice to choose whatever your
>> friends are using,
>
>thanks to everyone who answered my question!
>
>as you say, FC and CentOS are not ideal for me. Gentoo is too good for
>me, it is for unix geeks while i just don't have resources to play one
>more Game. i think that i will install it on my next box
>
>of remaining, Ubuntu has widest support here while SuSe is favourite of
>my friend. one thing that i like in suse is that it uses the same RPMs
>as RedHat and RPMs is widely used for packaging software available via
>internet. Is Ubuntu supports RPMs too?

I think it's widely regarded as a Bad Idea to mix packages between
distributions.

I would suggest Ubuntu (or Debian Sid if you are interested in getting
newer versions of GHC).  I think you'd find it difficult to find
software that wasn't already in Ubuntu's multiverse repository.

/M

magnus at therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning at gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

`In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were REAL
men, women were REAL women, and small furry creatures from Alpha
Centauri were REAL small furry creatures from Aplha Centauri.'

-- The Book getting all nostalgic.