[Haskell-cafe] what GUI library should i select?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 08:43:59 EST 2006

Hi

> - Gtk2Hs had better support, but now wxHaskell has more maintainers and
> situation may change to opposite in a next few months

As long as Duncan is around, there will always be enough Gtk2Hs
support! Currently Gtk2Hs _has_ better support, the situation may
change or may not. Remember that Duncan is not the only Gtk2Hs person,
merely the most active :)

> - wxHaskell provides more native look&feel

Definately true. For GuiHaskell
(http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/projects/guihaskell.php) I was
able to get it quite Windows looking with a bit of help from Duncan.
As a result of the attempt to make it more Windows like a few Gtk bugs
were filed, and it does appear that better Windows GUI styles are
something that is already in a Gtk release.

> third: are there any "appetizers" demonstrating features of each
> library and with source code available for studying? except for
> memory.pdf which don't mention where full source can be downloaded

The full source code of GuiHaskell is available.

The one thing you should be aware of is that Windows + Threading +
Gtk2Hs + Gtk + GHC = Pain. I suspect the same equation holds for
wxHaskell as well. Ask Duncan for more information if this looks like
being a problem.

Thanks

Neil