[Haskell-cafe] string to date?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Nov 9 18:29:47 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 20:43:36 +0100, Björn Bringert wrote:
>Dougal Stanton wrote:
>>Quoth Magnus Therning, nevermore,
>>>I've been staring my eyes out trying to find a function that converts a
>>>string into a ClockTime or CalendarTime.  Basically something like C's
>>>strptime(3).  I can't seem to find anything like it in System.Time,
>>>there are function that convert _to_ a string, but nothing that converts
>>>_from_ a string it seems.  Where should I look?
>>The MissingH.Time.ParseDate [1] module might be what you want. There's
>>also one from Bjorn Bringert [2]. I haven't used either though, so I
>>can't recommend anything between them.
>>Cheers,
>>D.
>>[1]: <http://quux.org:70/devel/missingh/html/MissingH-Time-ParseDate.html>
>>[2]: <http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/parsedate/>
>
>Those two are the same code. I have a preliminary new version which can also
>parse most of the types from the time package (Data.Time.*) available at:
>
>http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/parsedate-2/

I noticed one thing when playing around with ParseDate.parseCalendarTime
in ghci:

 > parseCalendarTime System.Locale.defaultTimeLocale "%Y" "2006"
 Just (CalendarTime {ctYear = 2006, ctMonth = January, ctDay = 1, ctHour = 0, ctMin = 0, ctSec = 0, ctPicosec = 0, ctWDay = Thursday, ctYDay = 1, ctTZName = "UTC", ctTZ = 0, ctIsDST = False})
 > parseCalendarTime System.Locale.defaultTimeLocale "%Y%m%d" "20061109"
 Nothing
 > parseCalendarTime System.Locale.defaultTimeLocale "%C%y%m%d" "20061109"
 Just (CalendarTime {ctYear = 2006, ctMonth = November, ctDay = 9, ctHour = 0, ctMin = 0, ctSec = 0, ctPicosec = 0, ctWDay = Thursday, ctYDay = 1, ctTZName = "UTC", ctTZ = 0, ctIsDST = False})

I'm on a Debian Sid system:

 % dpkg -l \*missingh\*
 ||/ Name                      Version        Description
 +++-=========================-==============-==============================================
 ii  libghc6-hdbc-missingh-dev 1.0.1.1        Integration of HDBC with MissingH, GHC version
 ii  libghc6-missingh-dev      0.16.2         Library of utility functions for Haskell, GHC6
 un  missingh-doc              <none>         (no description available)
/M

magnus at therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning at gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

It's important for a corporate leader to know the difference between
what is actually illegal, and what people assume should be illegal.
     -- Bill Gates, in interview for The Register, 19th June 2006