[Haskell-cafe] Newbie: Applying Unknown Number Arguments to A Partial Function

Arthur Baars arthurb at cs.uu.nl
Fri May 19 05:24:42 EDT 2006

Chris, the subject states clearly that Aditya is a Newbie, and is most
likely just trying to define the function "map". So I think pointing to
a bunch of advanced type magic tricks is not really helpful.

Aditya, you say you want the function applyArgument to take a function
and a list and apply the function to all elements of that list. The
result of "applyArgument" is a list, with the results of applying the
function to each element.

So you want the type of "applyArgument" to be:
applyArgument :: (a->b) -> [a] -> [b]

There are a numbers of errors in your code.
applyArgument f (arg) = f arg
The variable "f" is the first parameter of "applyArgument", and has
type (a -> b)
The variable "arg" is the second parameter of "applyArgument", and has
type [a] .
You try to apply "f" to a list which is not ok.
Most likely you meant "[arg]", which is a singleton list, instead of
"(arg)", which is the same as just "arg"
Furthermore "applyArgument" returns a list of result. The function "f"
only yields a "b", instead of a list "[b]"

The following does work:
applyArgument f [arg] = [f arg]

In your second line:
applyArgument f (arg:args) = applyArgument (f arg) args
you use a list pattern "(arg:args)", which is good. The variable "arg"
is the head of the list, and the variable "args" is the tail of the
list. So "arg" has type "a", and "args" has type "[a]" . The
application  "(f arg)" has type "b". Because the function
"applyArgument" expects a function as first argument and not a "b", so
this is wrong. I guess you can find out by your self how to fix this.
There are a number of very good tutorials for beginners on
http://haskell.org .

Finally your function won't work for empty lists, it is only defined
for singleton lists and longer lists. You can fix this by replacing the
definition for singleton lists with a definition for the empty list.
The pattern for empty list is simply "[]".

Good luck,

Arthur