[Haskell-cafe] Arrows, wxFruit

Gerbrand van Dieijen gerbrand at vandieijen.com
Mon Mar 20 18:01:19 EST 2006

Hello,

I am working on a thesis project which involves for a large part
constructing a gui. In short, I want to create a combinator library that
gives (a subset of) functionality, reporting libraries as Crystal
reports offer.
I read about Yampa and Fruit and wxFruit and both seem a very elegant
way to construct a gui.Unfortunately, Fruit uses a rather low-level
library which makes it of less use. wxFruit looks very nice, but the
library does not seem to be maintained anymore.

First, is wxFruit still maintained, or are there any plans to further
develop it. Or, can you recommend other libraries/frameworks to
construct a gui using combinators, that use higher level libraries such
as wxHaskell?
(An other possibility would be to use wxHaskell only and construct the
combinators entirely myself. This might be the most flexible approach.)

Second, I can't get wxFruit to compile on my machine. When I compile I
use the following command-line:
ghci -fglasgow-exts -package data -package wx
-i/users/gjhdieij/dowload/afrp-0.4/src WXFruit.hs

The packages than almost loads, but I still get the following errors
(GHC 6.4, wxHaskell 0.9.4) . Does anyone know a sollution?
/users/gjhdieij/dowload/afrp-0.4/src/AFRPUtilities.hs:169:46:
    Ambiguous occurrence `>>^'
    It could refer to either `AFRPUtilities.>>^', defined at
/users/gjhdieij/dow
load/afrp-0.4/src/AFRPUtilities.hs:106:2
                          or `Control.Arrow.>>^', imported from AFRP at
/users/g
jhdieij/dowload/afrp-0.4/src/AFRPUtilities.hs:90:0-10

/users/gjhdieij/dowload/afrp-0.4/src/AFRPUtilities.hs:178:48:
    Ambiguous occurrence `>>^'
    It could refer to either `AFRPUtilities.>>^', defined at
/users/gjhdieij/dow
load/afrp-0.4/src/AFRPUtilities.hs:106:2
                          or `Control.Arrow.>>^', imported from AFRP at
/users/g
jhdieij/dowload/afrp-0.4/src/AFRPUtilities.hs:90:0-10

(etc.)