[Haskell-cafe] Learning from scratch

Jared Updike jupdike at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 00:11:17 EST 2006

For GHC try adding the line

import Data.Char

or

import Char

at the top of your Haskell program. Or in ghci, try Char.chr instead
of chr, etc. Or try
  ghci filename.hs
where filename.hs is a text file with the line "import Char" at the
top. Now 'chr' should appear in scope.

The hierarchical libraries are listed here:
   http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/ (scroll down to
see all the modules listed)
You can search for functions here, e.g.:
    http://haskell.org/hoogle/?q=chr

Good luck,
  Jared.

On 3/15/06, Xavier Elizalde <elizalde at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> I'm just starting to learn Haskell from scratch and I've just hit a
> snag. The book "Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming, Second
> Edition" uses some examples that call functions from Prelude.hs. But
> for some reason, two installations of Haskell that I have on my
> computer don't have the functions available. I have the OS X version
> of Hugs (http://www.haskell.org/soe/software.htm) for the book "The
> Haskell School of Expression" installed, as well as the latest
> version of the Glasgow Haskell Compiler. Both of them get errors with
> the functions such as "ord" and "chr" mentioned at the beginning of
> the first book mentioned. Where can I get Prelude.hs and the other
> files it needs, and what do I do with them? I'm going to move on to
> the School of Expression book after the Craft of Functional
> Programming book, which is why I have the SOE version of hugs installed.

http://www.updike.org/~jared/
reverse ")-:"