[Haskell-cafe] Learning from scratch

Xavier Elizalde elizalde at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 15 23:37:13 EST 2006

I'm just starting to learn Haskell from scratch and I've just hit a
snag. The book "Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming, Second
Edition" uses some examples that call functions from Prelude.hs. But
for some reason, two installations of Haskell that I have on my
computer don't have the functions available. I have the OS X version
of Hugs (http://www.haskell.org/soe/software.htm) for the book "The
Haskell School of Expression" installed, as well as the latest
version of the Glasgow Haskell Compiler. Both of them get errors with
the functions such as "ord" and "chr" mentioned at the beginning of
the first book mentioned. Where can I get Prelude.hs and the other
files it needs, and what do I do with them? I'm going to move on to
the School of Expression book after the Craft of Functional
Programming book, which is why I have the SOE version of hugs installed.