[Haskell-cafe] STUArray

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 01:05:58 EST 2006

Hello Frederik,

Sunday, March 12, 2006, 5:58:42 AM, you wrote:

FE> Perhaps some sort of warning in the documentation for STUArray is in
FE> order, until Bulat's code can be incorporated?

excellent idea. you can make diff for Data.Array.ST/IO and send it to the
libs maillist

FE> By the way, why make the distinction between unboxable types and
FE> "other" types in the first place? E.g., just because I want something
FE> to work quickly on "Int", doesn't mean that I don't want it to work at
FE> all on "String". It seems that there could be a default "IArray UArray
FE> e" instance which just implements a regular Array behind the scenes.

you can do it yourself. basically, unboxed arrays implemented in
different way and has different (strict) semantics. btw, if you use
only ghc, it's better to use parallel arrays (ghc.parr module) to work
faster with arrays of non-unboxable types. i plan to provide
hugs+ghc-compatible interface to this module as "strict arrays"
implementation

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com