[Haskell-cafe] STUArray

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Sat Mar 11 21:58:42 EST 2006

I see. The solutions on that thread, i.e.:

http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell%40haskell.org/msg17085.html

would seem to require me to at least declare an instance of some
class, for every type that I want to support. So the short answer to
"I'm trying to figure out how to use STUArray. Is it possible to let
it be polymorphic?" appears to be "No".

Perhaps some sort of warning in the documentation for STUArray is in
order, until Bulat's code can be incorporated?

By the way, why make the distinction between unboxable types and
"other" types in the first place? E.g., just because I want something
to work quickly on "Int", doesn't mean that I don't want it to work at
all on "String". It seems that there could be a default "IArray UArray
e" instance which just implements a regular Array behind the scenes.

Frederik

http://ofb.net/~frederik/