[Haskell-cafe] Layout rule (was Re: PrefixMap: code reviewrequest)

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Wed Mar 1 07:35:44 EST 2006

Benjamin Franksen wrote:
> [snip]
> I am used to hitting TAB key and get the correct number of spaces,
> according to how I configured my editor (NEdit) for the current
> language mode.

The only thing then is what happens when you type backspace or left arrow to
get back out to a previous indentation? If the TAB character inserts spaces,
there's no problem going from left to right but it would seem more
complicated to go back out again ie without having to type backspace 4 times
and try to hope when outdenting more that I haven't typed backspace 23 times
instead of 24 times by mistake thus not getting to the column I expected.

This is my only reason for wanting to keep tab characters in the text, and
certainly it does give some disadvantages when trying to line up '|' '=' etc
vertically - at the moment I admit my layouts do end up a bit contrived as I
have to use more newlines to ensure I can use tabs only to accomplish the
line-up...

So any solutions welcome :-)

Regards, Brian.

"... flee from the Hall of Learning. This Hall is dangerous in its
perfidious beauty, is needed but for thy probation. Beware, Lanoo, lest
dazzled by illusive radiance thy soul should linger and be caught in its
deceptive light."
                                                   -- Voice of the Silence
stanza 33