[Haskell-cafe] Layout rule (was Re: PrefixMap: code review request)

Benjamin Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Wed Mar 1 05:57:36 EST 2006

On Wednesday 01 March 2006 02:36, Brian Hulley wrote:
> Ben Rudiak-Gould wrote:
> > Brian Hulley wrote:
> >> Here is my proposed layout rule:
> >>
> >> 1) All layout keywords (where, of, let, do) must either be
> >> followed by a single element of the corresponding block type, and
> >> explicit block introduced by '{', or a layout block whose first
> >> line starts on the *next* line
> >
> > I wouldn't have much trouble adapting to that.
> >
> >> and whose indentation is accomplished *only* by tabs
> >
> > You can't be serious. This would cause far more problems than the
> > current rule.
>
> Why? Surely typing one tab is better than having to hit the spacebar
> 4 (or 8) times?

What kind of editor are you using? Notepad?

I am used to hitting TAB key and get the correct number of spaces,
according to how I configured my editor (NEdit) for the current
language mode.

TAB characters in program text should be forbidden by law. As well as
editors that by default insert a tab char instead of spaces.

Ben