[Haskell-cafe] Closure trace?

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Wed Jun 14 06:10:19 EDT 2006

Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not belittling the underlying problem, which is real.  But there do
> seem to be many possible design choices without an obvious optimium.  If
> someone can boil out a principled and simple solution, it'd be a good
> contribution.

You can also use CPP macros for the worst offenders.  Something like
(untested, but you get the idea):

  #define BUG(X) (error (X++" failed, __FILE__,__LINE__")
  #define head (\x -> case x of (x:_) -> x; _ -> BUG("head"))
  #define fromJust ...

It's also worthwhile to check out the darcs code for some fancy bug/error handling.

-k