[Haskell-cafe] Closure trace?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 05:30:22 EDT 2006

Hi Michael,

I have defined fromJustNote and headNote, which take an extra
parameter, for example:

fromJustNote msg (Just x) = x
fromJustNote msg Nothing = error $ "fromJustNote failed, " ++ msg

I also have lookupJust which does a lookup and a fromJust, since this
is a common pattern in my program, and if the lookup fails I can show
the key, which usually gives me a clue as to what went wrong - rather
than fromJust Nothing which has no useful information.

I found that this is a really useful thing to do as programs get
bigger - when I get a fromJust error I just run around replacing
fromJust's to fromJustNote's and wait til I catch the error.

The other thing to do is use Hat (http://www.haskell.org/hat) to
generate a hat-trace then use hat-stack, which does exactly what you
ask for and more.

Thanks

Neil