[Haskell-cafe] Serializing Functions and Actions for Distributed Programming

Brian Sniffen brian.sniffen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 14:07:51 EDT 2006

I'm very excited by the ability to pass functions or IO actions
between threads of the same program.  But I don't see any language or
library support for doing so between programs, or between sessions
with the same program.  OCaml provides a partial solution:

<http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/libref/Marshal.html>

Though all it's really sending is an address and a hash of the binary
program.  Even SerTH doesn't help with functional types.  I seek the
knowledge of the Haskell Cafe: is there a reasonable way of addressing
this problem?

--
Brian T. Sniffen
bts at alum.mit.edu    or    brian.sniffen at gmail.com