[Haskell-cafe] Hackathon hesitation

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Wed Jul 12 14:43:22 EDT 2006

At Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:57:54 -0700,
Chad Scherrer wrote:
> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> Hi,
> I'm interested in attending the Hackathon, but I don't have any previous
> experience working on compilers.

Perhaps we should start a list of pre-session recommended reading on
the wiki page? I would recommend at least skimming the following

Implementing functional languages: a tutorial
Simon Peyton Jones and David Lester. Published by Prentice Hall, 1992.

Typing Haskell in Haskell (1999)
Mark P. Jones

Implementing Lazy Functional Languages on Stock Hardware: the Spineless Tagless G-machine
Simon L. Peyton Jones

I like those because you can get a lot out of them, even if you have
no prior compiler experience.

Anyone have other suggestions?